I run by this 'Source' in our town several times a week. One morning I had a maternal terrorist thought: "Bring the kids to swim here." I convinced them to come on a walk with me to do something "fun". Little did they know my idea of fun (for them) would be an icy dip, on a cold, gray, rainy day. Pay particular attention to the facial expressions, rib cages & muscles, oh, and the blue lips - priceless. For the pastries, read on.
-after 10 minutes of working up to the knees, it seemed "sort of fun".
-h wanted to sit - R wanted out
-R made bold and went up to his waist - forced a smile out for pic.
-love h's face -R again wants out (don't blame him). He said "I feel like Antarctica!"
-R back pedaling, or is he trying to tackle her
- she went under!!
- proud! and COLD.
- the 'Fun' factor is explicit on their faces.
The Pastries:
When we got home I had them write me a persuasive paragraph about why they deserve a pastry.
h wrote: "I think I deserve a pastry because...I swam in freezing cold water. And I and only me put my head under. Mom was also calling us chickens when she only put her feet in! And we (me and Rockwell) had to walk home with feet that felt like they were going to come off! And because Mommy was taking pictures of us in our miseries. And that's why we deserve a pastry."
R wrote: "I deserve a pastry because the water was freezing cold and I swam in it. I went up to my neck, too. I went half way across it. I think I deserve a pastry."
Not bad for never being taught how to write a persuasive argument. But it wasn't their paragraphs that won me over, it was their courage and tenacity to do something so utterly stupid. They both got a pain au chocolate.
No comments:
Post a Comment