One of the things I wanted to visit while we are here this summer was the Red Cross Museum. Fortunately I checked into it just in the nick of time. They closed this past weekend for a two-year renovation. If I had waited, I would have had to make T promise to bring me back to Geneva, again! That wouldn't have been too bad, he always keeps his promises.
Last Thursday I took the kids to the museum. It was fascinating. We learned how the Red Cross was founded, (h can tell you all about it); what it's governing principles were/are; which countries it's in; who it serves; why there's a Cross, a Crescent and a Crystal for symbols; and how it has changed over time. For example: Originally the Red Cross only helped the armed forces during times of combat/war. Until WWII. When the Germans put Jews into concentration camps, they refused the Red Cross access to them, claiming they (the Jews) were not prisoners of war, but criminals. The great thing is, the Red Cross found loop holes in their argument. The Germans would not release any information (names, cities of origin, dates, children, etc) to the Red Cross. However if the Red Cross (after doing some digging) could present the correct information to the Germans, they wouldn't deny it's accuracy, thereby allowing the Red Cross to confirm their info and report back to families of missing loved ones. You'll have to go to the Museum in two years to learn more. One thing the Germans conceded to was allowing Red Cross workers into the concentration camps to help - the catch? - they had to STAY there until the war was over. There were 10 volunteers. What courage!
M3
R - it was boring; except the room about Land Mines, that bothered me. Oh and the room with all the kids pictures (a room full of photos of orphaned children during the genocide in Rwanda), that was sad.
h - sad; it was interesting how they helped people; and it was good that they helped people.
me - it was a profoundly educational experience. I never knew how it began, a touching act of humanity on one man's part; I was moved by the push and courage of the organization during WWII; listening to clips of RC workers and their experiences visiting prisoners, and seeing a concrete block cell (10x8) where up to 17 prisoners would be detained; the intense push of RC workers to reunite orphaned Rwandan children w/ families or friends that incredibly escaped the genocide. Educational, moving & inspiring.
A must see on your next trip to the area.....in two years.
No comments:
Post a Comment