Monday, March 31, 2014

Homeschool - Ghana-style

Homeschooling via Ghana Mama & Papa:

It's been interesting, this homeschool thing. I mostly like it, and then there are the other days. Upon reflection I feel the same about sending the kids off to school somewhere else. Yet, there are advantages homeschool:

1. A day at the beach watching the tide come and go is considered Science.

after doing the tide lesson, we threw some math in there, just to extend the school day a bit

How Travis spends his sabbatical. Really, he's working, though I know it doesn't look like it.

2. Fresh mango and pineapple, oranges and bananas for snack-time.
mangoes on our tree (side note: Hannah took this photo as part of her photography unit in art class)

sweet girls who stop by often to sell oranges - we happily oblige

more mangoes

artistic photo of banana


3. If  we had a late night the principal/teacher can call in a 'late-start' day.

4. Chores can be counted as classroom instruction & homework (we planted a Ghana garden complete with tomatoes, peppers, cassava, & plantain).







5. If we feel like studying a little more about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, or Charlemagne, or the potato famine (St Patty's Day lesson), or millipedes, or dog packs, or birds, or bridge building or terminal velocity, we can do so, without fear of 'losing a teaching day'.


It hasn't been perfect, but it's been memorable!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be in your school! What a wonderful person you are. Thanks for the inspiration. You work harder than anyone else I know. xoxo

    ReplyDelete