Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pics from the Trip: Part I - Mole National Park

While these photos are a small memory book of our most recent trip, the most-prized pictures are seared in our minds - fleeting snapshots of beauty, happiness, sorrow, survival, determination and awe - and unfortunately can never be shared except by pen or voice, and then only to be seen in your mind as you create the scene yourselves. Until that day, we hope you enjoy these moments

Misty early morning start.




Lush tropical vegetation of southern Ghana.


So much can be said, but probably shouldn't.

Typical mud huts. Yes, families really live (happily!) like this.

On the final road to Mole National Park - the pot-hole-iest road I've ever been on. We're about to be sandwiched by two buses coming full speed toward us. As they passed by the passengers inside looked like popcorn in hot oil. We got the giggles like crazy.

I marvel at the women here. Carrying everything (including the kitchen sink! in urban areas, or course) on their heads.  They're strength is utterly astounding. My favorite are the bundles of sticks (branches, really) or trunks of trees they carry on their heads....for miles. 






For our birding friends.

Our great safari guide, Jacobo, after helping us cross a stream.

Monkeys!

Warthogs abound in this park. Notice how they get lower to the ground to scavenge.

Baboons - love the expression on his face.  "Huh?"

More for our birding friends - yes, Ghana is a birders paradise.

Bee-eaters

Dignified.

Add caption

Proof of Elephants!

But we missed them by a day~

Safari en route - grasses were quite high (8-10 ft)

Gorgeous African sunset - (sorry it's through the car window)



Baboons - hands down my absolute favorite. 




































Nick and Sara - our safari friends for 3 days - from UK. Great people!

Mother and fawn - bush buck

bush buck - adolescent.

I almost got this pre-Halloween trick in my hair!





The tse-tse flies were on crack. Every black spot you see in this pic (and the thousands you don't) are tse-tse flies. They had our car surrounded and getting out to look at things became a regular circus. I never, in my life, thought I would use the word vicious to describe a fly.

Millipede - not necessarily on the must-see safari list, but impressive length nonetheless.
More for our birding friends.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures! What an adventure! I live vicariously through you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Just like everyone else, I'm living vicariously through your family! xo Angella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this post - thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete