Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ghana Mama - Mom's Water Post

This post was meant to be published weeks ago: 

So, the kids have both posted about water. I believe it's my turn. Here is a short list of water-related, um, experiences I've had here:

1. Drinking:  In Morocco, Trav and I chose to accustom our gut to tap water. We paid dearly the first two weeks, but were fine the remainder of our time there. Here: we drink bottled water, or from the more colloquial 'water sachet'. We do so for health reasons, which were verified recently by a new friend here (Ghanaian) who uses a water purifier/distiller: "We drink purified water because if you don't you could easily get typhoid from tap water.". Um, yes. We will continue drinking bottled/purified water.

2. Dishes: no hot water. So I have to boil water after every meal in order to wash dishes. :) Just try THAT for a day, or a week, or....!

3. Food: I bleach (with a bleach/water solution) every item of produce that crosses the threshold of
 our home.

4. Laundry: it's done by hand (so far, hoping to change that in the next month or so); using two buckets and yes, my hands. I have been known on more than one occasion to pass off the over-flowing bag of laundry to Sobonzzee, our 'butler' of sorts. He's our maintenance contact w/ the University (the fan and lights have gone off periodically), 'know-er' of all random Ghanaian gadgets, ant-killer products, etc., and has asked if I would like help w/ laundry. Inside I screamed "Yes!", but my verbal response? "How much?".  Really, who the heck cares? I need help w/ this laundry pile!

5. Showers: (see no.2) Yes, we're taking cold showers. And,  no, I don't like it, for those of you who just had to ask the question .

6. Coconut water - to die for. Way better than Zico, people. Aaannnd it's way more fun to purchase and enjoy. Walking on a beach, coconut palms swaying in the tropical breeze, man w/ machete near a pile of freshly picked young tender coconuts, slice, slice, guzzle, crack, eat. The whole experience, friends. The whole experience. Come and see for yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing how much of your life can revolve around water. Makes sense, I guess. So cold showers still, even now that you're in your cottage?

    I'm impressed with you and Trav going native in Morocco. And I think you're doing the right thing this time around too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard reading this! As you are all too aware, things that are challenging and maddening now will be charming and/or hilarious in the near (as in back in the States) future. As for laundry, cut a small hole in a bucket lid and put a (clean) plunger through it to be used with mild soap as an agitator. Maybe not as effective as a washboard, but faster and easier. Email me if you want that document on water purification and storage or you want ideas for the occasional hot shower. I'm so excited and proud of you guys. I know you have done this kind of thing before, but it is still scary and trying at times. Enjoy this experience of a lifetime (and appreciate America even more...we can all use the occasional reminder). We miss, envy and love you guys! - Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. You people amaze me. I thought I was adventurous until I met The Lybberts. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had hot showers on your road trip, right? I hope. I pray. You are a girl who needs a hot bath or shower every few months or so... Geez girl, now you really will be ready to run some 24 hour races. Endurance QUEEN.

    ReplyDelete